For businesses engaged in IT modernization, upgrading to new technology and infrastructures represents an exciting and often necessary part of the transformation process. Any time an organization receives an infusion of capital for new devices, begins migrating to the cloud, or switches software or platforms, it’s out with the old and in with the shiny, new hardware.
When it comes to calculating the cost of these upgrades, however, the environmental impact and very real risks to security aren’t always factored into the economic considerations.
Currently, 50 million metric tons — the weight of all commercial airplanes ever built — of electronic waste, or “e-waste,” is created each year. Globally, only 20% of this material is actually recycled, while the remaining 80% ends up incinerated or dumped in landfills, often in Asia. Toxic materials from discarded hardware pollute local ecosystems, while uncontrolled data from retired systems create huge security vulnerabilities. Mining operations release substantial CO2 emissions into the atmosphere in the relentless extraction of raw materials and rare metals from the earth’s crust.
As governments seek to address the environmental concerns around the issue of e-waste, an increase in regulatory oversight can mean additional costs for noncompliance. When all the factors are considered together, the answer is clear: e-waste is a problem we cannot afford to ignore.
A more sustainable approach with e-waste solutions
At Insight and Dell Technologies, we know that embracing new technology and protecting the environment don’t have to be at odds with each other.
In fact, advancing sustainable solutions and improving our own environmental performance is at the heart of what we do. Insight’s green initiatives, like reducing our energy consumption, waste, water and air emissions, repurposing equipment, and partnering with conscientious suppliers and contractors, are just the beginning of our commitment to the planet — and to our people.
More insight: Robert Kane, SVP & GM of U.S. enterprise sales & product marketing at Insight, explains why IT disposal matters when going green.
When technology does inevitably come to the end of its lifecycle, Insight’s best-in-class asset disposition program provides Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) compliant e-waste disposal — maximizing economic returns and data security, and simplifying logistics and transportation.
Doing its part, Dell Technologies is also committed to using recycled and renewable material to make 100% of its packaging as well as more than 50% of its products. By 2030, for every product a customer buys, Dell Technologies will reuse or recycle an equivalent product. The company embraces innovation and the use of bio-based resources to create devices that last longer, reduce its carbon footprint and make packaging from ocean-bound plastics.
You can read Insight’s Corporate Citizenship Report here and learn more about the industry-leading efforts of Dell Technologies here.
At Insight and Dell Technologies, our commitment to sustainable solutions and environmental best practices forms the foundation for all that we do — and all that we can help you do in your IT transformation journey.